Thursday, February 26, 2015

AnalogyHomology

       Black and white ruffed lemur                                                       Ring-tailed Lemur

                                                                   Aye-aye

                                                                    
Homology
1. The two different species that I've chosen that posses the homologous trait are the Black and white ruffed lemur and the ring-tailed lemur.

The Black and white ruffed lemur is a unique creature. One of the things that stand out the most is the fact that this animal has sections of him that is either black or white hence what it is named after.

The ring-tailed lemur in the above picture is quite different. Here we have an animal with a single color for the backside and then white color in the front but then its tail is a black and white patterned tail. 

Both of these species are lemurs from Madagascar.

Analogy
1. The aye-aye animal in the above picture share a common environment with these other two species. The difference with this animal is that it is a lot smaller than the ring-tailed lemur. The tails are different from each other and the design of there of fur is different as well.

I think the  aye-aye is an example of a species that has grown to resemble some of these other species because of the environment that they are put in.

They could also share common genetic traits but it would have to be further back in history. One of the few features that they share in physical appearances is that they have the same shaped face.

6 comments:

  1. It is so interesting that the aye-aye species look so closely related to the other two species of lemurs, yet they do not have any recent common ancestors. This is great evidence of convergent evolution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your post, I think you did a great job! I learned something new today! I don't think I would have ever known that there are several different types of this animal. I think it is a very beautiful creature and enjoyed learning a little more about them. The only thing I am not quite aware of is, what is a Lemur? I am assuming its a monkey? I don't know whether it matters, but I think you should have explained a little more what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was really informative. Like Laura said I would have never thought that the Aye-aye did not share a common ancestor with the Lemurs. Thank you for doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect you misread the guidelines for this assignment.

    For the homologous trait, you needed to identify two organisms that shared a homologous trait. The traits in the two organisms needed to share a common genetic origin from a common ancestor but exhibit differences that have arisen due to different environments resulting in different functions and structures of that trait. The example in the guidelines was of the eagle and the penguin and their different wing structures. Both of the organisms you identify are lemurs but you don't identify the specific homologous structure or explain the ancestry issue.

    For the analogous trait, you needed to choose to organisms that exhibited an analogous trait. Analogous traits arise due to convergent evolution in similar environments and selection pressures, not from common descent. They do not share a genetic ancestry but have similar structures to solve similar problems. The example in the guidelines was a comparison between the eagle and the bat, comparing their wing structure as analogous traits. In your post, the aye-aye is also a lemur so it could be very difficult to identify an analogous trait between them since they are so closely related genetically.

    Take some time to review the guidelines again and read several student posts to get an idea of what was required and to understand examples of homologs and analogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post on informing us about the animals but like Professor Rodriguez commented above it wasn't really covering the questions being asked for this assignment. Yes these animals have great similarities but who is the common ancestor that make these two animals share the same traits? and also you were suppose to pick a total of 4 different animals to talk about for this assignment. Don't get me wrong because you post was still good just didn't cover all the guidelines for this assignment.

    ReplyDelete